Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Worshipful Heart

Auto pilot.  It's so easy to slide into auto pilot mode without even realizing it.  We can be so busy with the day-to-day, the mundane or not, the routines, the schedules.  It's easy to set our thoughts aside and focus on the task at hand, or to be thinking about the million other things in our heads that fill space and time so easily, so quickly.  But how often do we take the time to just be still?  To dwell on God's promises, His words...to just listen for His voice, His guidance?  

When worshiping the Lord in song, do we mean the words that we're singing?  Do we sing them from our souls with minds cleared of distractions?  Our songs to Him should be sung prayerfully, worshipfully, joyfully...and intentionally.  I know that I have been guilty of wandering thoughts of to-do lists and schedules, while attempting to sing His praises.  I also know that there is nothing glorifying to Him because of it...because of my own agenda, my own ideas, my very selfishness.  But God is deserving of the complete opposite - all glory and honor.

Worship takes intention.  But it should flow from us as easily as breathing because of our love and gratefulness to the Father.  A deep relationship with Christ results in an attitude of worship, in everything.  But when our priorities shift out of balance, we can lose sight of His goodness.

The last Sunday we spent at church prior to Camdyn's surgery, we sang "Blessed Be Your Name."  With some undeniably difficult days ahead of us, I sang this song with intention.  As I sang the following lines to the song, I was presented with a choice:

You give and take away, 
You give and take away, 
My heart will choose to say, 
Lord, blessed be Your name.

Did I choose to sing even these words with intention?  In that moment, they were some of the most difficult words I've ever encountered when worshiping in song.  I was promising to sing His praises, even if He decided to take away the blessing He had given me.  Would I be able to respond the way Job responded?  That would be my hope, but we don't truly know how we would respond until we've reached that bridge requiring the action.

I've seen first-hand what that kind of loss looks like...so many others have, too.  Loss of a loved one with an incredibly shortened lifespan.  Life...severed terribly short of what we think it reasonably ought to be.  I was only five, but those things stay with you.  The memories, the emotions, the effect.  Was I prepared to face that again...on a new level (as a mother, rather than a sister), if the Lord willed it?

This summer was, so very fortunately, not my time for having to cross that bridge.  Praise God.  But it has had me thinking about living a life that's in constant worship of Him.  With complete intention.  Regardless of circumstances.

The Bible says we are to "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you," (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  Do we continually rejoice for what He's done?  Are we in ceaseless communication with Him through prayer?  Do we truly give Him our thanks in ALL circumstances?

Worship has nothing to do with ourselves and everything to do with our Creator.  If we think anything otherwise, we have entirely missed the mark.  Worship shouldn't depend on our changing moods or circumstances.  It should be focused on the One who never changes.  Who's steadfast.  Who is deserving of all glory and honor.  We should worship Him in the blessings and the trials simply because He is God and He never changes.  Learn from the trials, be grateful for the blessings, but worship Him because of who He is.

"Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness," (Psalm 29:2).


No comments:

Post a Comment