Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Party {Heart}y

Throwing a party.  A shindig.  A get-together.  A celebration.  It's one of my most. favorite. things.  EVER.  I just love to make people feel special and to celebrate any occasion (or none at all!).

And what better occasion than to help prepare for your new (and first) nephew?!?!  Yes, I finally get to become an actual auntie.  I've been a pseudo-auntie for quite some time now, and now there will be a new little in my own extended family!  Yay!  

Meet my sister-in-love, Heidi.

Photo from October 2012

We feel like we go way back (and we kinda sorta do, but not really.  I PROMISE I didn't hate you when we worked together!).  We see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.  And we tell each other when we need a "you-ARE-actually-being-crazy-this-time" attitude check.

We have a few of these "laughing-while-trying-to-take-a-darn-selfie" photos

Well, she and my brother-in-love, Ryan, are expecting their first baby...a little boy! 

It's a boy!
They've named him Owen and we can't wait to meet him (just keep cookin', little buddy!).  It was my honor to throw her first baby shower ever (for our husbands' side of the family, of course...these boys are such brothers).  And you all know I like big celebrations.

CELEBRATE!

My GO BIG OR GO HOME motto for celebrating life events is somewhat well-known, if you know me.  And don't forget...it's not about spending money on being extravagant, but using forethought, planning, and some creative thinking to make it special (and staying up until 2am to finish making decorations while obsessing over the menu - more coffee, please). 

Deciding on the theme was easy...she's a book lover and appreciates all things vintage.  Voila!  A vintage, library-inspired party!

O is for Owen

I had some old books to begin with and knew I needed some to stack for displays and some to rip apart and use for some of the projects I had planned (how to choose the ones to rip up?  Harder than I thought!).  And thanks to my "seester," (thanks, Lex!!!!!) my supply more than doubled with a thrift store trip and a purge of her own books.  I had book page mobiles, pinwheels, and garlands planned (oh, Pinterest, how do I love thee?).  With a little lot of time and effort, it all came together in time (and getting your house clean for the arrival of guests is always an added bonus)!

A wall of pinwheels...

A few book page mobiles for hanging...

...and a "rolodex-style" folded book to hold "library card" notes for Owen!

The pinwheel wall?  I think it's my favorite.  My favorite.  Almost as much as coffee.  Some paper, tiny brads, and a fresh pack of sticky tack did the trick (because who wants to fill freshly-painted walls with new holes?)!  And it still holds (I can't bring myself to take it down - I'm still enjoying it too much!).

Pinwheels, books, and baby pictures, "O Baby!"

The menu included Chinese Chicken Salad (thanks, Costco!), Seven Superfood Salad (thanks, times two), Caprese Salad Cups, Cheese and Crackers, and Wonton Cups with Strawberries, topped with an Orange-Coconut Cream (which I enjoyed as coffee topping for 3 additional days).  Yummers.

Thanks, Ed, for holding all the food!

Caprese - Mmmmm....our favorite!

The Wonton Cups with Strawberries!

Dessert?  Lemon Mousse Cups with Raspberry Preserves and (by demand request) Lemon Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing (to resemble alphabet blocks, of course!).  

Lemon Mousse - easiest "recipe" ever!

Lemon Sugar Cookies - a double batch is a must.  NO.  JOKE.

A marquee light - why not?

When the weather is nice enough, we like to utilize the patio for our parties.  We set up a cute little outdoor living room (complete with mismatched chairs).

Outdoor living rooms are always a good idea.

This banner and mobile were made of book pages and paint chips (and sweetly swayed in the breeze).


And no party is complete without an appropriately-coordinating chalkboard...

#freshchalk

...or TWO.

More #freshchalk.  I love this quote.

A sweet, vintage vignette.

This table was purely for decor purposes.  Sometimes, you just need those.


For favors, I made these cute little book page and glitter ribbon clothespins.  And yes, that's a font called "1948" - I didn't actually use a typewriter (though, you shouldn't put it past me).



We visited, we ate, we played, and we "showered with blessings."  

Match the quote to the children's book title...harder than we thought!



The highly-coveted Paisley Sprouts clutch...Alli, she laughed.  Really hard.

Even the younger ladies had a wonderful time.  


Then, those of us left afterwards sacked out on the sofa, with the windows open, the leftovers available for eating, and our comfy pants on (BYCF - Bring Your Comfy Pants!).

Sweet little Owen, we are so excited to meet you!  Finish baking up like the perfectly golden lemon sugar cookies your mom hoards loves so much.  You'll be here before we know it!  You have some crazy excited cousins and aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas praying for you!  We love you so much!!!


Love,
Your {Favorite} Auntie





No comments:

Post a Comment