Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Favorite Recipe

I have a lot of favorite recipes, but my favorite kinds of recipes are those that are adaptable depending on your ingredients or mood.  I also have two categories of favorites:  those that are carb-friendly (thanks to gestational diabetes that stuck around after Camdyn was born), and then all the rest!

Oh, how I love Pinterest.  So many recipes, so little time.  It always makes me laugh that there's all these deliciously fattening or sugary recipes pinned right next to fitness tips.  When I can combine the two, I am a happy girl.

The recipe I'll be sharing today is just that.  Delicious and healthy.  Bonus?  It's totally adaptable, too!  I've made several variations of this recipe and they've all been a great hit.

What is it, you ask?  It may sound weird to some of you, but please, don't be turned off by the name:  Cottage Cheese Pancakes.  You see, I have a sweet tooth and I love breakfast foods.  This makes it possible for me to "indulge" in a short stack of pancakes.  And the recipe is SO simple.  I found it via Pinterest.

Special birthday pancakes and a fancy candle!

I made these recently for Max's birthday breakfast and added rainbow sprinkles and a little maple extract.  YUM.

Rainbow sprinkles, anyone?
This recipe is so easy because all the ingredients go into the blender and BAM! Batter is done.  Delicious, fluffy, moist....and rich in protein, thanks to the cottage cheese and eggs.  And there's NO SUGAR in them, nor is it necessary, with the vanilla extract.

Short stack for my big boy

Trust me on these yet?  Ok, good.  Here's the recipe (from kalynskitchen.com):

Makes approximately 12-15 small pancakes.

- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour (white works fine, too, if you must)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 T vanilla
- any extras, such as berries, diced apples, additional flavored extracts, spices/seasoning (pumpkin pie or cinnamon are delicious), sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc.

Put all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend well.  Preheat griddle or heavy frying pan.  Evenly scoop batter into pancakes.  These take much longer to cook on the first side as regular pancakes, an they don't bubble when they're ready to be flipped.  Instead, the sheen goes from "shiny" to "matte" when they're ready for flipping.  Enjoy with your choice of topping!

Needless to say, the birthday boy was pleased.  As were the rest of us.  

The sweetest boy face
Have a wonderful Thursday, friends!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese, but I'm up for trying something new. Plus, Kyle LOVES cottage cheese. Sadly, I rarely remember to get him any since he doesn't do the menu planning or grocery list making.

    ReplyDelete