Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Songs and Sleeves

My Big Red Heart, for my sweet little girl


Today, I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve...sort of.  It's our long-awaited, thoroughly planned, overly-educated, and primarily uncertain Big Red Heart Day.  I'm proudly sporting a big red heart in honor of my little heart warrior who is big on personality.  And love.  I'm so touched that so many of you are doing the same.

As we wait, in the company of some of our dear friends and family, there is one song that's been on my heart since last week.  

  1. I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
    No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
    • Refrain:
      I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
      Every hour I need Thee;
      Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
      I come to Thee.
  2. I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
    Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.
  3. I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
    Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
  4. I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
    And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
  5. I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
    Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

    (By Annie S. Hawks)

    I am also reminded today of the idea of living with "gracious uncertainty," from Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest."  He says:

    "Our natural inclination is to be so precise - trying always to forecast accurately what will happen next - that we look upon uncertainty as a bad thing...Certainty is the mark of the commonsense life - gracious uncertainty is the mark of the spiritual life.  To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, not knowing what tomorrow may bring.  This is generally expressed with a sight of sadness, but it should be an expression of breathless expectation.  We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God,  As soon as we abandon ourselves to God and do the task He has placed closest to us, He begins to fill our lives with surprises."

    He goes on to say:

    "Leave everything to Him and it will be gloriously and graciously uncertain how He will come in - but you can be certain that He will come.  Remain faithful to Him."

    We are to be living lives of gracious uncertainty, certain of Him, but really of nothing else.  He uses this to shape us and draw us nearer to Him.  This is something I am reminded of when we aren't even exactly sure where we'll be sleeping tonight.  Come, Lord, and lead us...today, especially. 

    This morning, we are thankful for anesthesia that appears to be working way better than it did last time (resulting in a happily goofy Camdyn).  Please keep Camdyn in your prayers today, for the extubation to happen in the OR, and for a smooth wakeup afterwards...and keep showing us those big red hearts!  It's an incredible blessing to us!

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for her, for all her needs and a smooth recovery! God Bless. -Beth

    ReplyDelete