Friday, June 28, 2013

Zippers

That's what they call scars from open-heart surgery.  Zippers.  It's a common scar shared by each of those who've bravely gone under the knife for open-heart repair or replacement.  They should be worn with pride...and be a badge of courage. Today, my little love was embarrassed by it, self-conscious about it... and that saddens me.

Our little "Hall-of-Famer"

We headed to the main lobby area of the hospital to see what was left of the fun music time that was going on.  She wore an adorable new dress.  It was the first article of clothing that showed more of her scar and bandage than any other so far.  And she was self-conscious. 

I tried to explain that it showed how brave she was, that it proved how strong she was, and how hard she has fought for her precious life.  I told her how beautiful and amazing she was, inside and out.  I assured her that God created her just this way, for special reasons only He knows.  But it didn't matter.  She was still embarrassed.  Tears welled up in my eyes.  I gently hugged her.  I knew this was something we would be facing until her scar faded to a shade lighter than her own skin over time.  A pit sank in my stomach as I thought about how many more of these conversations we would need to have...especially when the school year begins again.  And I wished yet again that I could take it all away from her.

Tomorrow, the pacer wires come out.  Aside from a tiny hiccup this morning, she has solidly been in sinus rhythm since yesterday (hallelujah!!!).  All the extra/unnecessary tape will also come off, while she still has a decent dose of "happy juice" in her system.  If all goes smoothly, we could foreseeably be home sometime on Thursday (woot woot!).  All four of us home together again.  Man, are we looking forward to it.

We will be returning a couple times a week for a while, for follow-up lab work, echos, EKGs, and X-rays.  But then we get to go right back home!  

Please pray for her nerves to be calm, her rhythm to be steadily sinus, and her spirits to be lifted and without self-consciousness.  Please pray that there would be no fluid collection in her chest and that her at-home recovery would be smooth and easy peasy.  Please pray for our continued wisdom and decision-making.  And please pray that Thursday would be our lucky day.  Thanks, friends!

1 comment:

  1. I so understand...scars, embarrassment, and fear..We were at the hospital today for a post-op check-up. I wanted to come see you and say "Hi" But, fear and tears overtook my daughter as we tried to remove the tape off her upper lip. The tape is still on the lip...and we weren't in a state to visit..

    Camdyn looks so pretty in her beautiful dress. She is amazing inside and out. I will pray that she understands that one day and that she sees herself as God sees her and as we see her.

    "Mederma" is amazing on scars. You can get it in creme form at Rite Aide, Target, etc..Our doctor told us years ago to use it on my childrens scars on their face after surgery. It really does work wonders on scars.

    Praying for your precious family and so glad that the light is at the end of the tunnel. Prayers continue and keep enjoying the good music and play time at the hospital! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete